Monday, July 11, 2011

1st Lesson

First of all I`ll introduce myself. My name is Sar, I`ve been drumming for 6 years now. I`ve spent my 4 first years teaching myself drumming, and the last too years I`m studying with a teacher.

I`m starting this blog in order to help those who are teaching themselves, Because when I started learning with a teacher I figured out most of the things I`ve done befoere were wrong and unhealthy to the wrist.

So lets start. First of all, the most important thing to remember is to hold your stick right.

Here are some photos from different angles to help you understand how you shouold grip your sticks.

as you see, the stick should be held tightly with the thumb and index finger, while the other fingers surround the stick and holding it lightly inside the palm of the hand.
Another important thing is to make sure the back of your hand is heading up .People often tend to have their palm facing upside instead, make sure that doesn`t happen to you.

Now that you know how to grip your sticks, lets get to some pad exercises.
Tempo = 60 BPM (If you don`t have a metronome you can use online metronome from here )

Learning To Count :
Befoere you can get to drumming, you must understand rythm, and learn how to count basic times.
The purpose of the drum in the concept of a band is to maintain the tempo (the rythm), a drummer who cannot do it, is useless.



This is a timeline between the first beep the metronome does and the second one
Striking on your pad where the red circles are (exactly when the metronome "beep") will give you 4th notes, quarter notes.
Striking where the green circles are, will give you 8th notes, see that the second green circle is exactly in the middle between the first and second beep.
The yellow circles, are 16th notes, 4 strikes every "beep"


Now that you can count basic time, you can practice the counting and the grip. take your drum sticks, take your pad (or if you don`t owe one, you can drum on your bed)
Turn on the metronome on 60 BPM and start doing 4th, 8th, and 16th notes with your sticks :)
Goodluck!

Next lesson I`ll talk about triolies :)
If you have any question do not hesitate to ask at the comments :)

17 comments:

  1. Cool lesson. I play guitar myself and I learned my first year with a teacher because I might learn things myself which wouldn't be good, same as you had. Now I am learning it myself with the basic things.

    I also like to learn drums, so + follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool,unfortunatly i don't have a drumset,can i learn from tappin on my table? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can learn all of the drumming hand techniques with only sticks (You can buy sticks for 15$)
    Preferbly a drumming pad aswell.(It`s pretty cheap aswell)

    If you want to learn playing drums, you can also rent a room with drumkit for 1 day a week to practice some real drumming. and while your at home, practicing the techniques on your pad. (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Resources like this are great for newer drummers. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good man, thanks for the lesson, followed

    ReplyDelete
  6. good stuff. a lot more stuff then you would think !

    ReplyDelete
  7. i always wanted to play an instrument and now i came to your blog and want it even more. But the lazyness....
    followed :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I'm a guitarist and I really want to learn to play the drums. I'll be looking forward to reading more.

    +followed http://yearningandlearning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lats saturday I saw a real cool drummer in a bar of my hometown who play simply brilliant. Maybe I give drumming a try with your tutorial :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gotta agree with Mekkor, I would love to learn an instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gotta agree with Mekkor, I'd love to play an instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  12. i been playing drums for 3 years already great beggining lesson

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always wanted to drum but i have bad wrist pain :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah :( if only i could play such an amazing instrument! I can't even play guitar

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can promise you that if you will follow my lessons you will be able to play basic drumming, and some advanced drumming aswell if you`re serious about it (:

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't play the drums myself, but always wanted to learn, looking forwards to more!

    ReplyDelete